Monday 14 April 2008

True of False?

I love Cezanne. For me he is the great father of modern painting (as he is for many artists). The apples of Cezanne are THE apples. By this I mean that they are not real apples they are the essence, the "last" from which all other apples come. They seem to possess a form that is beyond explanation. They hover and wobble, they curve in space and have a weight that seems to pull them into both a metaphysical and quantum place. And then there is colour. Colour that screams at you. "I am an apple but not as you know it. Apples are made from me". But there is one very curious aspect to these apples. I do not know whether this true or false but I have read that due to Cezanne´s painstacking way of working, the fruit that he wanted to paint went rotten before he had finished. He therefore had wax fruit made so that he could spend the hours he needed to finish the work. This raises an interesting question. When I look at this fruit I am looking at a painting of wax fruit transformed into the essential fruit. Strange and wonderful.

No comments: